Are you an expat looking to make some extra money in UAE? Are you concerned that working part time in UAE whilst employed elsewhere is illegal in the country and you will be penalized for doing so?
Let us clear your doubts in this regard. It is completely legal in UAE to work on a part time basis. The provision was introduced back in 2010 in UAE Labor Law which says that an employee can opt for a part time job along with a full time one by procuring a temporary work permit specifically for part time jobs from MOHRE- Ministry of Human Resources & Emiratisation (previously known as Ministry of Labor)
Who is eligible for part time work permit?
Article 3 of the Ministerial Resolution No. (1188) for 2010 mentions four categories that are eligible for part time work permit,
- Employees registered at the MOHRE who hold valid labour cards.
- Persons who meet the conditions to be granted work permits based on the residency of their families.
- Students over 18 years of age.
- Government employees.
Who is not eligible to obtain this facility?
- An individual on a visit or tourist visa is not eligible to work part time legally in UAE as the person does not have a legal sponsor (husband/father/employer) in the country.
- Domestic workers / House maids
- Members of the Armed Forces
- Police and security forces
- Workers employed in agricultural establishments
- Non-national employee over the age of 65 years.
Documents required for obtaining work permit
- Valid passport and visa copy
- One passport size photograph with white background
- No Objection certificate (NOC)
- If you are already working in UAE, (NOC) from your existing full-time employer who is your sponsor and registered under MOHRE is required.
- If you are sponsored by father or husband, NOC from them is required.
- Copy of your Labour Card / Emirates ID / Labour Contract
- Labour Establishment Card for both companies (if applicable)
- Passport copy of the Sponsor (If sponsored by your husband or father)
- NOC from potential part time employer so as to make certain that all parties are aware of the exact work and residency situations of the applicant.
- Your residency should be valid for more than 6 months at the time of work permit application.
Procedure to apply for work permit
Once all your documents are ready, your future part time employer will have to submit them through Tasheel Authorized Center along with the payment of application fee and part time labour card fee.
Work permit validity
Part time work permit has validity of one year and must be renewed after completion.
Points to Consider
1. Work permit does not apply to trading or business license
Work permit only allows residents in UAE to work for companies that are registered in MOHRE on part time or weekend basis. Do not confuse obtaining work permit for your other trading or business activity. If you are looking to start new business in UAE you will have to go through appropriate channels for obtaining licensing and government approvals.
2. Part time job and freelancing are different work concepts
Part time work and freelancing should be treated differently. In a part time job you are working for someone else but if you are a freelancer in UAE, you work for yourself. You have established your business as one-person company by securing a license pertaining to your business activity from relevant licensing authority.
Part time job is a quick fix solution for those having difficulty to make ends meet. In fact, financial prudence is the best policy to sustain yourself as well as to get rid of payments. According to an online poll by compareit4me.com, 8 out of 10 people in UAE are indebted to their banks. This is why more and more people are turning towards this facility.
If you are need more information on working part time in UAE, contact our representatives.